Next Steps Towards Discipleship
We encourage everyone to take steps to grow in their own journey of faith towards being a disciple of Jesus. These steps include daily spiritual practices of prayer, Bible reading, and meditation, and meaningful relationships with others both within the church community and outside of it. Below are some resources that we either offer or can point you towards.
- Unfolding the Light: Unfolding Light is a daily reflection rooted in a contemplative, Creation-centered spirituality, often inspired by United Methodist Pastor Steve Garnaas–Holmes’ daily walk in the woods. In poems, parables, psalms, thoughts and the odd weather report he hopes to invite readers into a spirit of presence, compassion, justice and delight. Though these writings are rooted in the Christian story, you’ll hear in them melodies of many traditions. Unfolding Light is for anyone who wants to be a part of God’s healing of the world
- Richard Rohr: Richard Rohr’s Daily Meditations explore the contemplative foundations of Christianity “From the Bottom Up.” Each topic builds on the previous one, but you can join at any time! Watch a short intro (8-minute video) and explore past reflections.
- 3 minute online retreat by Loyola Press: invites you to take a short prayer break at your computer. Spend some quiet time reflecting on a Scripture passage.
- 12 minute retreat: “Pray As You Go” offers an online guided reflection on a scripture passage each day including a variety of different styles of sacred music. Also available as an app for iPhones and Androids. Go to the website to download these apps.
- The Upper Room Daily Devotional The Upper Room”s mission is to provide a model of practical Christianity, accessible in varied formats, to help people feel invited and welcomed into God’s presence to:
- listen to scripture as God’s personal message, linking their stories to God’s story;
- commune with God in prayer;
- see their daily choices and small acts of obedience as part of God’s work;
- realize our connection through Christ as a universal family of believers;
- encounter the living Christ and be transformed into Christ’s likeness.
- We also have printed copies of “The Upper Room” in the hallway outside of Campbell Hall.
- Sojourners: Verse & Voice Each morning Sojourners will send a short verse, a justice quote, and prayer straight to your inbox. Each devotional is faith inspired and social justice themed.
- d365:Devotions 365 Days of the Year The devotional experience is written especially for students and seeks to provide reflections on themes that impact our faith journey. d365 will create a quiet space in your life for meditation and prayer.
- Our Daily Bread: 365 Moments with God (for kids) This kid-friendly version of the well-loved Our Daily Bread devotional offers 365 bite-sized readings in a format that’s fun for everyone. See how your family can grow together. Our Daily Bread for Kids. app is available at the App Store and Google Play
- Living Great for God (for kids) The Bible is full of amazing stories about people who did great things for God – some were brave and strong, like David and Samson. Others were quiet and gentle, like Daniel and Ruth. The one thing they all had in common was that they loved the Lord with all their heart and dared to do big things for Him. This exciting devotional will take kids on a journey through the Bible with stories of heroes who had all kinds of adventures.
- “Bible In One Year”: This free daily Bible reading app can be read on a computer or downloaded to your smartphone. Over the course of one year, you will read the entire Bible (NIV translation) guided by Nicky Gumbel, an Anglican priest and pioneer of ALPHA, who provides commentary on the passages and short prayers.
- “The Daily Message”: The Message paraphrase translation by Eugene Peterson is available as a printed book or an Audible book. Takes you through the Bible (The Message) in one year in six readings a week.
- “The NRSV Daily Bible”: Another way to read the Bible in one year in paperback or kindle version – link to more information. Each day has a commentary and prayer. In the familiar NRSV translation that is in our pews.
- “The Dickinson Series: Exploring the Bible”: Sponsored by the Massachusetts Bible Society, this is a four-part series on the Bible –link to more information. Our church has student copies of the first and second books – “What is the Bible” and “Introducing the Old Testament” –available to lend or to look at in the Upper Room.
Classes and Groups
- We offer a number of adult education classes that change on an ongoing basis. To see what we are currently offering, simply click here.
- Women’s Study Group is a program that provides an opportunity for women to get together to study and discuss topical issues.
- Bible Study for the Spiritually Curious: Join us for a weekly Bible study exploring the coming Sunday’s scriptures. This is a Bible study for everyone, no matter how much you know or don’t know about the Bible.
- There are a number of groups that address the needs of our congregation and the community beyond. For more information click here.